Creating an SEO roadmap to get your website to the top of Google is complicated. The average business owner doesn’t have the time or experience needed to optimize their websites for search engine success. This is why they hire SEO specialists to help them.
However, not all SEO providers are created equally. Some companies employ sleazy tactics to convince business owners to hire them. The more you know about the tactics used by these shady agencies, the easier it will be to avoid falling for their lies.
This article will provide a comprehensive list of things you might hear a sleazy SEO salesman say.
I Guarantee #1 Rankings On Google
A common ploy deceitful SEO salespeople use is guaranteeing a #1 ranking on Google. This claim is misleading because search engine algorithms are complex and constantly changing. This makes it impossible for anyone to promise specific rankings.
If an SEO salesman offers you a fixed spot at the top of Google search results, you need to run for the hills.
We Have Exclusive Insider Knowledge of Google’s Algorithms
Another tactic that untrustworthy SEO salesmen might use is claiming they have “exclusive insider knowledge” of Google’s algorithms. This statement is simply not true. Google’s search algorithms are a closely guarded secret.
The company doesn’t share specific details about how these algorithms work with the public, including SEO companies.
If an SEO provider tries to convince you that they have insider information about Google’s algorithms, be wary. They are likely using this tactic to make themselves sound more legitimate and knowledgeable than they are.
Your Competitors Are Already Using Our Services
Be cautious if an SEO salesperson claims your competitors already use their services. This is a common tactic to pressure business owners into feeling like they are missing out if they don’t sign up.
A good SEO provider understands that every business requires a comprehensive SEO strategy. Our three-pronged SEO approach features links, onsite and content. This is why our strategies drive results for clients.
Our Secret Techniques Will Get You Instant Results
Some SEO salespeople might tell you they have ‘secret techniques’ to get you ‘instant results.’ This is just another sneaky trick they use. SEO is not about magic tricks or secret methods. It’s about understanding how search engines work and using that knowledge to improve a website’s visibility.
SEO takes time and involves a lot of hard work. It’s not something that can deliver instant results. Instead of falling for this lie, look for someone who clearly explains SEO and sets realistic expectations.
We Have a Special Relationship with Google That Gives Us an Edge
Some SEO salesmen might tell you they have a special relationship with Google that gives them an edge over other providers. This is simply a lie.
- Google Doesn’t Play Favorites: Google’s algorithms treat every website similarly. No special partnerships allow some SEO providers to have favored status.
- No Insider Connections: Google is a massive organization. The thought that an SEO company could have a special insider connection is wildly unfeasible.
- Clear Guidelines: Google has laid out clear guidelines for SEO practices, available to everyone. They don’t have exclusive SEO rules for specific companies.
Don’t be fooled by this outrageous claim. Stick with SEO providers that adhere to Google’s guidelines and use ethical SEO strategies.
We’ll Submit Your Website to Thousands of Search Engines
Another misleading claim you might hear from a shady SEO salesman is that they’ll submit your website to thousands of search engines. This might sound like a great deal, but here’s the reality: only a handful of search engines matter. Google, Bing, and Yahoo hold most of the search market.
Submitting your website to “thousands” of search engines doesn’t do much good because most people use only these big ones. Also, these major search engines are smart enough to find and index your website as long as your site is public and linked to other sites.
If an SEO salesman tells you they’ll submit your site to thousands of engines, it’s just a flashy way to sound impressive. But it doesn’t help your SEO. Instead, focus on making your website the best it can be for the search engines that matter, like Google.
Our Methods are 100% Safe and Won’t Trigger Any Penalties
You might hear a shady SEO salesman say that their methods are 100% safe and won’t trigger any penalties from Google. This sounds good, but it’s not that simple. Google has rules for what websites should and shouldn’t do to get a higher ranking on search results. These rules are known as Google’s Webmaster Guidelines.
If a website breaks these rules, Google can give it a penalty. This can cause the website to lose its ranking or even disappear from search results altogether.
However, some sneaky SEO salesmen want you to believe their methods are risk-free. They might say, “We know how to trick Google without getting caught,” or “Our methods are too smart for Google to notice.”
But these claims are not true. Google’s algorithms are really smart and always learning. They can often detect shady SEO methods and penalize the websites using them.
In fact, white-hat SEO tactics used incorrectly can get your website penalized. This is why you need an experienced and trustworthy professional at the helm of your SEO ship.
We Can Get You Thousands of Backlinks Overnight For Improved Rankings
Beware if an SEO salesman promises to generate thousands of backlinks to your site overnight to boost your rankings. This approach sounds appealing, but it’s not realistic or beneficial. It goes against Google’s guidelines.
Google values high-quality backlinks, ones that come from reputable sites and are related to your content. It’s nearly impossible to gain such backlinks overnight. Instead, building a robust backlink profile is a gradual process that involves building relationships and generating valuable content that others want to link to.
Remember, it’s not about the quantity but the quality of backlinks. If someone promises quick, numerous backlinks, they’re likely using black-hat SEO tactics, which can lead to penalties from Google. Stick with SEO professionals who understand the importance of quality over quantity when it comes to backlinks.
We’ll Flood Your Website With Traffic Within Days
An SEO salesman might promise to flood your website with traffic within days. This might sound great at first, but it’s not.
Here’s why it’s a bad thing:
- Quality over Quantity: Increased traffic means nothing if it’s not the right kind of traffic. You want visitors who are genuinely interested in what you offer, not just random clicks.
- Artificial Inflation: If a company promises to flood your site with traffic, they’re likely using methods that artificially inflate your numbers. These methods can include paid traffic or bots, neither of which are helpful for your business.
- Potential Penalties: Google can spot artificial traffic increases and may penalize your site. These penalties can cause your site to drop rankings, which is the opposite of what you want.
- Short-term Boost: If your traffic is artificially inflated, it will drop as soon as the tactics stop. Genuine organic traffic growth is slower but more sustainable over the long term.
When it comes to website traffic, it is more beneficial to have a smaller number of interested, engaged visitors than a flood of empty traffic.
Our Services Are a One-Time Investment That Will Last Forever
This claim is simply not true. SEO is not a one-time task. It’s an ongoing process that requires continuous effort and updates.
Search engines, especially Google, update their algorithms regularly. These updates can change how websites are ranked in search results. Therefore, what works for your website’s SEO today might not work a few months from now.
Furthermore, your competitors are also using SEO. As they change and adapt their strategies, you must adjust yours to stay competitive.
Good SEO requires ongoing work, regular updates, and constant monitoring. Don’t fall for the false promise of a one-time, ever-lasting solution.
We Have a Limited-Time Offer That Expires Today
Sometimes, an SEO salesman may pressure you into making a quick decision by saying that their offer is a “limited-time deal” that expires today. This strategy often makes you feel like you will miss out on a great opportunity if you don’t act immediately.
SEO services are not “limited-time” products; they are ongoing strategies tailored to your business needs. Any reputable SEO provider understands the importance of allowing potential clients enough time to make an informed decision.
If a salesman insists you need to sign up immediately to get a deal, take a step back. This is a common pressure tactic, not a genuine deal. Real SEO professionals will give you the time and information you need because they are confident in the value and effectiveness of their services.
You Won’t Find These Strategies Anywhere Else
There are no ‘secret’ or ‘exclusive’ SEO strategies that only one company knows. SEO is about understanding how search engines work and implementing standard best practices consistently and effectively. The fundamental principles of SEO – quality content, user-friendly site design, reputable backlinks, and proper keyword usage – are publicly known and widely used by all high-quality SEO providers.
If a salesman promises unique, secret strategies, they’re probably using black-hat SEO tactics, which can lead to penalties from search engines like Google. Stick with professionals who are transparent about their methods and align with recognized SEO best practices.
We’ll Provide You with a Secret Formula for SEO Success
A shady SEO salesman might try to bait you with promises of a secret formula for SEO success. Sounds super cool, right? Wrong. This claim should raise a red flag. Here’s why:
- No Secret Formulas: In the world of SEO, there’s no such thing as a secret formula. SEO involves proven strategies and hard work, not magic tricks. Successful SEO is based on understanding how search engines work and following the guidelines they set.
- No Instant Success: SEO is not a sprint but a marathon. It takes time to gain organic traffic and improve your website’s rank. Anyone promising immediate results most likely isn’t following the rules.
- Transparency: A good SEO provider should be transparent about their methods. If they’re unwilling to share their strategies with you, it’s a sign that they might be using unethical practices.
- Long-term Success: Real SEO success happens over time, not overnight. It’s about building a website that provides value to its visitors, which will be rewarded by search engines.
Remember, it usually is if something sounds too good to be true. Work with SEO professionals who follow the rules, work hard, and set realistic expectations.
Our Services Are Endorsed by Google
The world’s largest search engine, Google, does not endorse or favor specific SEO companies. Their primary goal is to provide an unbiased, user-oriented search experience. They have established clear guidelines that SEO services should follow.
There’s no endorsement or preference from Google’s end towards any SEO provider. If a salesman makes this claim, it’s just a tactic to win your trust. Instead, choose an SEO provider who uses ethical practices and respects Google’s guidelines.
Act Now or Your Competitors Will Surpass You
Some SEO agencies might try to scare you into action by saying that your competitors will surpass you if you don’t act now. While it’s true that SEO is a competitive field, this claim is often used to pressure you into making hasty decisions.
SEO is a long-term strategy, not a race. You should focus on implementing solid, ethical SEO practices that will benefit your website in the long run.
If an agency is rushing you to sign up with threats of your competitors overtaking you, they’re probably more interested in getting your business quickly than helping you build a sustainable SEO strategy. Always take the time to make informed, thoughtful decisions about your SEO strategy.
We’ll Give You a Free Trial, No Strings Attached
An SEO salesperson may offer you a “free trial, no strings attached” to make their services appealing. Who wouldn’t want to try something for free before buying it? But, as the saying goes, there’s no such thing as a free lunch.
Here are some things to keep in mind when considering a free trial for SEO services:
- Read the Fine Print: Even though it says “no strings attached,” read the terms and conditions. There may be hidden charges or automatic sign-ups to paid plans after the trial ends.
- Investigate the Company: Do some research on the company offering the trial. Look for reviews and ratings to see if other people had a good experience with the trial and the service.
- Think About the Value: SEO is a long-term strategy. A short-term free trial might not give you a clear picture of what the company can do for your SEO in the long run.
- Trust Your Gut: If something seems too good to be true, it probably is. Always go with a company you feel you can trust, even if it means skipping a free trial.
The goal of SEO is to improve your website’s visibility in the long run. Choosing an SEO service provider who is transparent, trustworthy, and committed to your success is the best course of action.
We’ll Create a Network of Microsites to Boost Your Ranking
An SEO salesperson might suggest creating a network of microsites to boost your website’s ranking. This strategy involves creating many small websites, each focused on a different keyword or topic, linking to your main site. While this might sound like a good idea, it’s not a sustainable SEO strategy.
For one, managing a network of microsites is time-consuming. Each site requires its own content, updates, and SEO strategies. Instead of focusing your energy on one strong website, you’re spreading your efforts thin across multiple sites.
Search engines like Google have become smarter. They can recognize when a network of sites exists solely to boost the ranking of a main site and might penalize you for it. They prefer to see a single, comprehensive website that provides valuable content.
Having a network of microsites can confuse your audience. Visitors may not understand the relationship between the various sites and your main site. Instead of creating multiple microsites, it’s often more effective to focus on improving your main site’s content and SEO strategies.
Our Techniques Are So Advanced That They’re Top Secret
Beware of SEO salespeople who claim their techniques are so advanced that they’re top secret. This is a deceptive claim. In reality, there are no secret or advanced techniques in SEO, only well-known, proven strategies that professionals follow consistently.
SEO is about transparency, not secrecy. Moreover, search engines like Google appreciate and reward transparency, penalizing any underhanded or so-called secret techniques. It is always best to work with an SEO provider who is open about their methods.
We’ll Optimize Your Website for Hundreds of Keywords
You might hear an SEO salesman say they’ll boost your site by optimizing it for hundreds of keywords. But hold on, is that a good idea?
Let’s look at why stuffing your site with tons of keywords isn’t the best move:
- Relevance Matters: Search engines like Google will reward your site if it provides useful, related content for each keyword. If your site is about dog grooming, but you try to rank for “pizza delivery,” Google won’t see your site as helpful to users searching for pizza delivery.
- Hard to Manage: Imagine trying to keep track of hundreds of keywords! It’s going to be tough and time-consuming. It’s way easier to handle and nail a smaller set of keywords.
- User Experience: If your site is stuffed with keywords, it won’t read naturally. Visitors might find it confusing or annoying and leave. Remember, your site should be for humans first and search engines second.
Choose an SEO provider that prioritizes quality over quantity. They’ll help you pick the right keywords and use them effectively to enhance user experience and search engine rankings.
We’ll Flood Social Media With Positive Reviews for Your Business
An attractive promise you might hear from an SEO salesman is that they’ll fill social media with glowing reviews of your business. But is this a good strategy? Not really, and here’s why:
- Authenticity Matters: Social media users value real experiences from real people. If they notice a sudden surge of overly positive reviews, they might suspect they’re fake, which can harm your reputation.
- Risk of Penalties: Many social media platforms have rules against fake reviews. If they catch you, they could penalize your business, which can harm your brand.
- Honest Feedback is Valuable: Genuine positive and negative reviews give insights into your customers’ thoughts. You can use this feedback to improve your business.
Instead of trying to manipulate social media reviews, work with a provider who helps you encourage genuine feedback and engage with your customers. This approach is more ethical and more likely to bring long-term success.
We Have a Secret Link-Building System That No One Else Has
When an SEO salesman claims they have a secret link-building system that no one else has, you should be skeptical. Link-building, a fundamental part of SEO strategy, involves getting other websites to link to your own, improving your site’s reputation and visibility.
However, the process for building these links is not a secret or exclusive to any one company. All successful link-building strategies involve creating quality content, establishing relationships with other website owners, and following ethical, transparent practices.
If someone suggests they have an exclusive, secret method for link-building, be wary — they might be using unethical tactics that could cause more harm than good to your website’s reputation.
We’ll Generate Thousands of Leads For Your Business Overnight
Be cautious if an SEO salesperson tells you they’ll generate thousands of leads for your business overnight. Effective lead generation is a strategic, long-term process that involves optimizing your online presence, creating quality content, and deploying targeted marketing strategies.
It’s not something that can happen instantly. Rapid influxes of leads are often low-quality or irrelevant, failing to convert into actual customers. True SEO success takes time and consistent effort – it can’t be rushed.
You’ll See a Massive Increase in Sales Within a Week
If an SEO salesperson promises you’ll see a massive increase in sales within a week, be careful. This claim is more of a sales pitch than a reality. SEO is a consistent and long-term process. It’s all about improving your website’s visibility over time, not in an instant.
A sudden boost in sales might sound great, but it’s unlikely to be sustainable or based on a strong foundation. It’s far more valuable to invest in steady, gradual growth. Always remember, SEO isn’t a race or a quick fix but a marathon that requires patience, effort, and commitment.
So, don’t fall for empty promises, and choose an SEO provider who helps you build a sustainable strategy for growth.
We Can Guarantee a Certain Amount of Traffic to Your Site
A common assurance you might hear from a sleazy SEO salesman is that they can guarantee a certain amount of traffic to your site. While this might sound enticing, it’s not the whole story. Yes, more traffic can be good, but only if it’s the right kind of traffic.
So why wouldn’t you want a lot of low-quality website traffic?
- Wasted Resources: Maintaining a website costs money and time. If most of your traffic doesn’t engage with your content, make a purchase, or do whatever action you’re hoping for, you’re not getting a return on your investment.
- Poor Performance Metrics: Search engines care about how users interact with your site. If a lot of your traffic bounces (leaves your site immediately after arriving), that sends a signal to search engines that your site might not be very useful or relevant.
- Low Conversion Rates: Ultimately, you want your website traffic to take certain actions – make a purchase, sign up for a newsletter, request a quote, etc. If your site is flooded with low-quality traffic, the percentage of visitors who complete these desired actions (your conversion rate) will be low.
- Bad User Experience: If your website is full of irrelevant visitors, it might become difficult for your actual target audience to interact with your website due to slower load times and overcrowded servers.
Instead of falling for the promise of guaranteed traffic, look for an SEO provider who focuses on attracting high-quality traffic that aligns with your target audience.
Our Services Will Future-Proof Your Website Against Algorithm Updates
This is a misleading claim. Search engine algorithms, especially those of Google, are complex and constantly evolving. While SEO professionals can predict some changes based on trends and Google’s stated goals, no one can accurately foresee all future updates or their impacts.
Therefore, no SEO service can fully shield your website from the potential effects of future algorithm updates. The key to long-term SEO success is constant vigilance, flexibility, and adaptation.
It involves regularly updating your website’s content and SEO strategies in response to changes in search engine algorithms, user behavior, and industry trends.
Rather than seeking a service that promises to future-proof your site, you should partner with an SEO provider that emphasizes continuous improvement and adaptation to changes in the SEO landscape.
We’ll Create Hundreds of Pages of Content for Your Website
Be skeptical if an SEO salesperson promises to create hundreds of pages of content for your website. While having a lot of content might seem like a good thing, the quality of content counts when it comes to SEO.
Writing hundreds of pages of content is a huge task. Doing it well, with valuable information that’s useful to your visitors, is even more challenging. It’s unlikely that an SEO service could provide hundreds of pages of high-quality content quickly.
Filling your site with low-quality content can hurt your SEO. Search engines like Google want to give users the best results, so they rank sites with helpful, relevant content higher. If your site is full of poor-quality content, it may be seen as less useful to visitors, which can lead to lower rankings.
Rather than focusing on quantity, choose an SEO provider who can create high-quality content that provides value to your audience and improves your SEO.
Our Methods Will Get You Thousands of Social Media Followers
Some SEO salespeople may tell you their methods will get you thousands of followers on social media almost immediately. Sounds great, right? Well, not exactly.
Let’s break down why:
- Fake Followers: Often, these methods involve using fake accounts, which is not a good practice. Fake followers might boost your numbers, but they won’t engage with your content or become actual customers. They are just numbers, not people.
- Social Media Penalties: Social media platforms can detect fake accounts and they don’t like it. If you’re caught, they could penalize you by limiting your reach or even suspending your account.
- Damages Your Reputation: If your followers notice you have a lot of fake accounts, it can damage your reputation. They might question your credibility and trustworthiness.
Instead of chasing quick, fake social media growth, choose an SEO provider who helps you organically grow your social media presence by posting high-quality content, engaging with your audience, and using legitimate marketing strategies.
We Have a Direct Line to Google’s Search Quality Team
Google operates on impartial algorithms, not personal relationships or special access. Google treats every website the same – it doesn’t favor one over another because of personal connections.
The only way to improve your website’s ranking on Google is by following their guidelines and focusing on proven SEO strategies. SEO providers who claim they have special access are misleading you.
It’s best to partner with a provider who follows ethical practices and works to improve your website’s SEO through legitimate methods.
Our Proprietary Software Will Revolutionize Your SEO Results
If an SEO salesperson tells you their unique software will work wonders for your SEO results, you should be cautious. While some tools can help with aspects of SEO, like keyword research or tracking rankings, they cannot replace a well-thought-out SEO strategy.
Software alone can’t understand your business goals, target audience, or the unique selling points of your product or service. It also can’t create engaging, high-quality content or build genuine relationships for link-building.
These are things that require human understanding, creativity, and effort. So, keep in mind that while tools and software can be helpful, they are only one piece of the puzzle.
We’ve Worked With Big-Name Brands and Can Do the Same for You
This is another deceiving claim that some SEO salespeople might pitch to you. While it can seem impressive if an SEO provider has worked with well-known brands, it doesn’t guarantee they can replicate the same results for your business.
Each business has unique goals, target audiences, and market conditions. What works for one company might not work for another. In addition, just because a provider worked with a big brand doesn’t mean they necessarily achieved outstanding results.
It’s vital to look beyond the name-dropping and examine the actual, quantifiable results they’ve achieved for these clients.
Hire a Reputable and Trustworthy SEO Agency!
Small Business SEO never uses false claims or pressure tactics with clients. We believe in building a relationship based on trust and transparency. Our clients are loyal because we produce results consistently.